Urbanization is a global megatrend which can yield many advantages, not least economic and for the climate.
The development of cities, particularly concerning the economy, growth and employment, is decisive for the success of Finland as a whole.
The SFP cares about all cities in Finland, regardless of size. Cities exist for people. We want to create comfortable, safe and stimulating urban environments that bring people together and combat segregation. Urban policy covers many different sectors which need to be better coordinated. Successful cities need a functioning urban region and strong rural areas.
We want to
- make it easier for businesses to hire people by giving cities more say over their job centres. The shortage of competent labour is a challenge for cities, too.
- combat segregation in our cities
- make urban planning more flexible and faster. We want to make construction easier. Access to zoned sites is of critical importance for a functional property market.
- see more homes and affordable housing
- make cities able to function as sites of innovation and culture. Cities should be able to test various pilot projects before large changes are introduced nationally.
- introduce better coordination between cities and central government to guarantee functional and flexible infrastructure both in and between cities.
- to allow the Helsinki region to develop with consideration for its special characteristics to be able to compete with other international metropolises. The success of the Helsinki region benefits the whole of Finland.